Creating a Street Fighter game with Unity

I have been working with Unity for some time and I decided to make a series of tutorials to create a fighting game. I'm going to use the theme of Street Fighter just to make it more familiar and attractive.

The complete development of the game is covered in video, so you don't miss anything and you can create it from scratch without any knowledge of Unity or C#. I strongly recommend that you do have some knowledge about programming, though, so yo can solve problems that you may find.

The 3D models

I suck at 3D modeling, so I didn't create any of the models used, I downloaded them from tf3dm.com. It is a wide source for models of any kind. If you are to download models, make sure that they are in T-pose or that they already have a rig assigned. 


In the picture, Ryu is not exactly in a T-pose, more like an X-pose, but it still works. The more separated are the limbs the easier is to assign the mesh to the rig (skeleton).

I did create the animations and may be I will create some tutorials for that soon. 

Platform


Unity 5.0.0f4 Personal

Blender 2.7.5

I am using Blender to edit my models, create the rigs, the animations and export them to Unity.
Unity is my tool for game development and I suggest you to use the the version that I mention if you want to load my project. If you are going to create your own, then use your favorite version.

Resources

I uploaded all resources into a  google drive public folder. This is the url. Feel free to use all the material. Actually non of the resources really belong to me, only the code and the Unity project.  :P

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-2F-z4FbfAuZDlPemRvTWRxOW8

Model exporting format

Remember to use FBX format when your models have rigs and/or animations. Use OBJ when you don't have any of the above. OBJ is a lighter format. In any case, when Unity compiles the project and packs the resources, it changes the format into something that its engine understands better.

Project features

It is a fighting game and as such it contains the minimum necessary to make two characters fight. This is the list of things that you will implement with the tutorials.

  • Two fighters fully rigged and animated.
  • Animations for: idle, walking, punching, kicking, getting hurt, defending, throwing a haduken, dodge, celebrating and dying.
  • Actions controlled by the user via a keyboard.
  • Sound effects for the actions and events.
  • Background music.
  • A head up display (HUD)
  • Life / health bars.
  • A timer
  • A haduken using a particle system.
  • A very simple AI engine.

The AI engine

I don't know if this qualifies as a real AI engine, it is more like an emulation of it. Well, it is based on a state machine and that was something used for AI a long time ago, so... 

Unity handles the animations of a character with an state machine called Animator controller. I do use it for animations, but it has so much more potential and therefore I use it as the state machine for my AI implementation based on simple decisions and a random element.

The tutorial

Without further adieu, here is the list of videos in youtube.


I hope to have the time to make more comments on each video so you understand what I can't express with my bad-fast English.

Enjoy the tutorial, good luck and contact me for any doubt that you may have.

May the force be hadoken.

Popular posts from this blog

GradingBox

Sticker Sellos de Exceso